Sunday, June 9, 2013

there's always money in the banana stand

forlackofabettercomic: This might sound crazy, but just hear me...



forlackofabettercomic:

This might sound crazy, but just hear me out for a second…

…It's cancer.

Photo



thecottonproject: open letter to all of my friends 'sbeen a...













thecottonproject:

open letter to all of my friends

'sbeen a long shitty week

ohsobarisaxy: Started from the bottom now we here! 6 Months...



ohsobarisaxy:

Started from the bottom now we here! 6 Months Post Big Chop!

rouxfus: mindtardis: emmylof: draftgiraffe: How to cut...





















rouxfus:

mindtardis:

emmylof:

draftgiraffe:

How to cut glass

image

image

Doing this…..

certifiedhybrid101: "Internet Explorer, you are the best"… said...



certifiedhybrid101:

"Internet Explorer, you are the best"… said no one ever.

"In the U.S. every year, 207,754 people are raped, so there are also a whole bunch of people..."

"In the U.S. every year, 207,754 people are raped, so there are also a whole bunch of people committing those rapes. What that means is that any comic who regularly performs in front of an audience is likely to spend at least some time telling jokes to someone who's raped someone. And when he hears a joke like Tosh's, that starts with "How can a rape joke not be funny?!" and goes on to say that a woman who interrupts him deserves to be raped –- or a joke like Morril's ("My ex-girlfriend never made me wear a condom… She was on the pill: Ambien!") –- he's probably going to feel pretty comfortable in that room.

When he hears the laughs in response to Morril's joke, he's not liable to feel shame about the night the girl from the bar passed out when he got her upstairs; he's probably going to feel like he's surrounded by a bunch of people who agree that what he did wasn't really a big deal. He's going to be reassured that he's not in a society that takes it seriously."

- What Do Rapists Think About Rape Jokes? | xoJane (via brute-reason)

"What makes the non-South Asian person's use of the bindi problematic is the fact that a pop star..."

"What makes the non-South Asian person's use of the bindi problematic is the fact that a pop star like Selena Gomez wearing one is guaranteed to be better received than I would if I were to step out of the house rocking a dot on my forehead. On her, it's a bold new look; on me, it's a symbol of my failure to assimilate. On her, it's unquestionably cool; on me, it's yet another marker of my Otherness, another thing that makes me different from other American girls. If the use of the bindi by mainstream pop stars made it easier for South Asian women to wear it, I'd be all for its proliferation — but it doesn't. They lend the bindi an aura of cool that a desi woman simply can't compete with, often with the privilege of automatic acceptance in a society when many non-white women must fight for it."

- Jaya Bedi, Beyond Bindis: Why Cultural Appropriation Matters (via sociophilia)

Photo



jasmine-mwaalee: maxterbate: imperialdalek: zilliah: fullmeta...



jasmine-mwaalee:

maxterbate:

imperialdalek:

zilliah:

fullmetalhobo:

I FOUND A CUTE THING

THE BIT THAT REALLY GETS ME IS THE VIDEO DESCRIPTION!!!

I took Noah outside to play for a minute. What he saw was Spider-Man. He loves Spider-Man. He ran right up to him and gave him a big hug. When Spider-Man took off his mask is what surprised me. It took him a minute to realize that he was looking at his Daddy! That's when I started crying. Jason was home from Afghanistan for leave to welcome our newborn daughter Kali pronounced (Kal-ee) like California.

omg my heart just exploded.

there's always money in the banana stand: negritaaa: ashlbnn: Provocatoria: Is it bad provocatoria:...

there's always money in the banana stand: negritaaa: ashlbnn: Provocatoria: Is it bad provocatoria:...:

maxkaczor:

rhapsody-tardisblue:

maxkaczor:

negritaaa:

ashlbnn:

Provocatoria: Is it bad

provocatoria:

polycouplefl:

provocatoria:

maxkaczor:

If I'm not Samoan but I really want a traditional Samoan tattoo

Yes, it's bad. Cultural traditions of one community are not yours to take because you think…

The way I see it I'm basically honoring your tradition and culture by having it permanently placed on my body and able to be viewed by anyone. I understand that you and a few others will take some offense to it for an unknown reason other then you believe in your self righteousness enough that no one can do what they really want with their lives, but that's okay, because the rest of the world will continue on getting beautiful tattoos and showing them to their friends and family showing them how awesome your culture really is, because that's what we do here in America, we take other people's stuff and make it our own.

So even when a person of the culture you want to steal from tells you that it's not okay, you've decided to ignore what it is they're telling you and bask in your own ignorance? It's not about doing what you want with your own life. Cut that bullshit out. Admiring others' culture is not the problem. Stealing parts of it without any knowledge or connection to the meaning of what you're taking and then commodifying it and making it so common that it loses its value so people don't care about why those cultural things are important anymore is the problem.

America bastardizes cultures and the things that matter to them. Like Cinco de Mayo and Day of the Dead from Mexico, dreamcatchers and headdresses from Native cultures, St. Patrick's Day, which is celebrated entirely differently in Ireland than it is in the US, Holi festival and bindis from Indian/ Hindu cultures, etc. Americans take the value and meaning out of each of these things for the sake of a fashion statement, or for the fuck of having fun without any thought to the fact that these things mean something to somebody(ies)

tl;dr find your own fucking culture and connect to that. It'll mean more because it's actually your own.

You've caught me, I'm clearly going to get it because I'm a rich, ignorant white kid from the upper class. But not at all. I know about their culture, I know what the tattoo means. I wouldn't be going to get it as a fashion statement. I understand that America isn't the best at celebrating cultures correctly, but that's uncontrollable at this point, I don't really care about the few people who will tell me I'm offending them because of the tattoo, but listen to the praise I get for not being a jackass about it.

knowing what it means doesn't mean it belongs to y- you know what. fuck it. assholes can't be anything but what they are. 

sweetcharade518: sambamkablaam: Stop Telling Me To Be Skinnier...



sweetcharade518:

sambamkablaam:

Stop Telling Me To Be Skinnier (by SamBamKablaam)

YOU NEED TO WATCH THIS BECAUSE IT'S THE GREATEST VIDEO ON YOUTUBE.

holy fucking yes

I’m angry all of the time, and I choose to be because if I don’t feel anger, then...

I’m angry all of the time, and I choose to be because if I don’t feel anger, then I’d feel nothing.

but thanks for playing.

there's always money in the banana stand: negritaaa: ashlbnn: Provocatoria: Is it bad provocatoria:...

there's always money in the banana stand: negritaaa: ashlbnn: Provocatoria: Is it bad provocatoria:...:

maxkaczor:

negritaaa:

ashlbnn:

Provocatoria: Is it bad

provocatoria:

polycouplefl:

provocatoria:

maxkaczor:

If I'm not Samoan but I really want a traditional Samoan tattoo

Yes, it's bad. Cultural traditions of one community are not yours to take because you think…

The way I see it I'm basically honoring your tradition and culture by having it permanently placed on my body and able to be viewed by anyone. I understand that you and a few others will take some offense to it for an unknown reason other then you believe in your self righteousness enough that no one can do what they really want with their lives, but that's okay, because the rest of the world will continue on getting beautiful tattoos and showing them to their friends and family showing them how awesome your culture really is, because that's what we do here in America, we take other people's stuff and make it our own.

So even when a person of the culture you want to steal from tells you that it's not okay, you've decided to ignore what it is they're telling you and bask in your own ignorance? It's not about doing what you want with your own life. Cut that bullshit out. Admiring others' culture is not the problem. Stealing parts of it without any knowledge or connection to the meaning of what you're taking and then commodifying it and making it so common that it loses its value so people don't care about why those cultural things are important anymore is the problem.

America bastardizes cultures and the things that matter to them. Like Cinco de Mayo and Day of the Dead from Mexico, dreamcatchers and headdresses from Native cultures, St. Patrick's Day, which is celebrated entirely differently in Ireland than it is in the US, Holi festival and bindis from Indian/ Hindu cultures, etc. Americans take the value and meaning out of each of these things for the sake of a fashion statement, or for the fuck of having fun without any thought to the fact that these things mean something to somebody(ies)

tl;dr find your own fucking culture and connect to that. It'll mean more because it's actually your own.

tooshortpants: This is The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Fighting the...



tooshortpants:

This is The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Fighting the Big Motherfuckin' Sad by Adam Gnade, and the day I got it I read it through twice. I highly recommend it to anyone who:

  • is surprised they're still alive
  • creates art, only to repeatedly throw it out because it's "not good enough"
  • thinks they're destined to be alone forever
  • doesn't know where they'll be in 5 years
  • feels like their life just doesn't fit them
  • hasn't left the house in 6 weeks
  • has ever posted anything sad on the internet, secretly hoping someone out there would hear them
  • is so fucking tired

"Don't sabotage yourself. There are enough people out there who'll do it for you. Don't let the assholes win."

hannahetaylor: My little sister is getting made fun of at school because she's adopted. This is...

hannahetaylor:

My little sister is getting made fun of at school because she's adopted.

This is what she responded with "Well, my parents chose me. Your parents are stuck with you."

image

kidsraisingkids: kidsraisingkids: Cinderella got to meet a...



kidsraisingkids:

kidsraisingkids:

Cinderella got to meet a real life princess today, my daughter Ashtyn Noelle.

(Reblog for source)

Really Ashtyn…10,000 notes? :D

still the cutest

Photo





negritaaa: ashlbnn: Provocatoria: Is it bad...

negritaaa:

ashlbnn:

Provocatoria: Is it bad

provocatoria:

polycouplefl:

provocatoria:

maxkaczor:

If I'm not Samoan but I really want a traditional Samoan tattoo

Yes, it's bad. Cultural traditions of one community are not yours to take because you think it's cool.
image

No.  Its your body.  If you liked the Mona Lisa o much you wanted it inked on your entire back its your choice. 
If you' like to do the tattoo and keep it respectful to the traditions of the Samoans do some research and find out in detail what each symbol means.  Thus through your ink you will bring awareness and actual knowledge.

Please tell me how you, as a white dude, are qualified to hand out access to my cultural traditions like they're nothing?

Contrary to how you've been socialized, white men don't actually have the dominion and authority to be the gatekeepers of all things. Samoan tataus have nothing to do with you, why are you over here telling another white dude that it's okay for him to appropriate our traditions? You have gravely overstepped your boundaries, you insolent trash. 

I don't care how much internet access any white person has, they will never be able to wikipedia themselves into being so "cultured" that they have right to traditions of Samoans. It's not going to happen.

Also, don't fucking dare compare a cultural rite to your crusty ass Mona Lisa. The Mona Lisa does not signify anything important. It's just a dusty ass painting that white folks put in a museum. Samoan tataus are a rite of passage, a timekeeper, a test, an incredible link to Samoan identity and familial history. Don't you dare compare it to a dusty painting of some white bitches.

photo OOO1.gif

everything about this response is yes.

buttonpoetry: Mega - "Mother" (CUPSI 2013) "You can't say you...



buttonpoetry:

Mega - "Mother" (CUPSI 2013)

"You can't say you gave birth to me if I had to escape from you."

Sean "Mega" Desvignes, performing on finals stage at CUPSI 2013. He was awarded Best Rookie at the tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment